Gerald B. Spurgin, J.D.
Gerald B. Spurgin is a highly-experienced trial lawyer who has successfully tried numerous personal injury, wrongful death, and medical malpractice cases in both state and federal courts during his 35 years of practice. Mr. Spurgin was born in DeLand, Florida. While attending public schools, he held various jobs and quickly learned the value of hard work at a young age. Mr. Spurgin put himself through college, graduate school, and law school by earning academic scholarships and working. Mr. Spurgin received his B.A. from Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia in 1979. He then completed and received his Masters Degree from Florida State University in 1981.
Early Legal Career
While obtaining his Masters Degree in Tallahassee, Mr. Spurgin served as Administrator for Student Legal Affairs for Florida State University, served on staff in the Office of Governor (Governor Bob Graham), and served on staff in the Community Affairs Committee for the Florida House of Representatives. Mr. Spurgin was also an instructor at Stanley Kaplan Education Centers where he instructed students for the SAT, LSAT, and MCAT entrance examinations for colleges and universities, law schools, and medical schools.
Gerald B. Spurgin is a highly-experienced trial lawyer who has successfully tried numerous personal injury, wrongful death, and medical malpractice cases in both state and federal courts during his 35 years of practice.
Academic Dean's Scholarship
After graduating with his Masters Degree from Florida State University, Mr. Spurgin was honored by receiving a full, three-year academic Dean’s Scholarship to law school at Cumberland School of Law, Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. Mr. Spurgin continued to work for Stanley Kaplan Educational Centers while attending law school. Mr. Spurgin received his Juris Doctor degree from Cumberland School of Law in 1984, where he was one of the top graduates in his class. During his three years in law school, Mr. Spurgin served on the American Journal for Trial Advocacy.
Complex Personal Injury Cases
Based on his academic performance and distinction in law school, Mr. Spurgin clerked for the prestigious law firm, Holland & Knight, in Miami, Florida. Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Spurgin practiced with Holland & Knight in Miami, Florida.Throughout his time with Holland & Knight, Mr. Spurgin handled complex cases involving personal injuries and wrongful death stemming from catastrophic accidents, products liability, and medical malpractice claims. While in the Miami Holland & Knight office, Mr. Spurgin worked on many high profile cases with and against some of the top trial lawyers in America.
Desiring to move to the West Coast of Florida, Mr. Spurgin transferred to Holland & Knight’s Bradenton office, where he practiced for two years, eventually moving to Holland & Knight’s Tampa office. In 2001, Mr. Spurgin was asked to join Morgan & Morgan, where he practiced with an emphasis and concentration in helping clients injured by medical malpractice. In 2006, Mr. Spurgin decided to leave Morgan & Morgan to help start a medical device company which was ultimately acquired by a public company.
A Knowledgeable and Versatile Litigator
Throughout his legal career, Mr. Spurgin litigated or tried just about every conceivable type of case involving personal injuries and wrongful death. Early in his legal career, Mr. Spurgin represented not only plaintiffs but also defendants which were large corporations and insurance companies. This exposure has given him added experience and insight into how defendants and insurance companies view claims for personal injuries and wrongful death.
Throughout his legal career, Mr. Spurgin litigated or tried just about every conceivable type of case involving personal injuries and wrongful death.
Mr. Spurgin’s cases have included complex medical malpractice incidents involving brain injured newborns, misdiagnosed or untimely diagnosed cancers, undiagnosed or misdiagnosed heart attacks, strokes and aneurysms, inappropriately administered anesthesia, improper and improperly performed surgeries, heart surgeries, stenting, and catheterizations, undiagnosed epidural spinal abscesses, and various numerous emergency room debacles. Mr. Spurgin has litigated or tried cases involving pedestrian, bicycle, motorcycle, automobile, trucking, boating accidents including admiralty, maritime, and Jones Act cases, dangerous property conditions, inadequate security, and defective consumer and medical products.
Personalized Attention and A Comprehensive Understanding of the Law
Mr. Spurgin believes that every client’s case deserves his personal attention and his complete understanding of the legal and medical issues involved. To this end, Mr. Spurgin prides himself on providing tireless and effective representation to each and every one of his clients. Mr. Spurgin knows that every case is different and that each case is probably one of the most important matters in that client’s life. Mr. Spurgin knows there are no substitutes for dedication and hard work for his client. He knows that his client’s day in court is probably the only day to state his or her case, and there are no second chances.
Mr. Spurgin has always sought the best results for his clients who were victimized by a personal injury or untimely death of a loved one or family member due to another party’s negligence. In 2018, Mr. Spurgin celebrated his 13th year as a recipient of Martindale Hubbell’s AV Preeminent Rating, with a perfect 5.0 out of 5 rating, as voted by his fellow attorneys, the highest award achievable for legal ability and ethical standards. Mr. Spurgin has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by the National Law Journal and as one of Tampa Bay’s Top Lawyers for medical malpractice by Tampa Bay Magazine. Mr. Spurgin was named one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers.
Mr. Spurgin was admitted to The Florida Bar in 1984. He has been admitted to practice in the United States District Court of Florida in the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts. Mr. Spurgin has been admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. He is also admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Spurgin has served as a Speaker at the “Bridge-the-Gap” Seminar and the “Mediation and Arbitration” Seminar sponsored by The Florida Bar. Mr. Spurgin is a member of the Florida Justice Association.
Schedule an Appointment with Gerald Spurgin
Mr. Spurgin is committed to helping his clients achieve justice, and will work tirelessly to ensure his clients receive the restitution they are entitled to. To set up a consultation to discuss your case, please send us a message, or call us at (877) 883-9090.
- Admitted to the Florida Bar in 1984
- Doctor of Jurisprudence from Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama, 1984
- Graduated with Honors of Dean's List from Cumberland School of Law
- Recipient of a three-year full, academic Dean’s Scholarship from Cumberland School of Law
- Member of the American Journal of Trial Advocacy
- 13-year recipient of Martindale Hubble’s AV Preeminent Rating, with a perfect 5.0 out of 5 rating, as voted by his fellow attorneys, the highest award achievable for legal ability and ethical standards
- Selected by Tampa Bay Magazine as one of Tampa Bay’s Top Lawyers for Medical Malpractice
- Named one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers
- Masters of Science Degree in Public Administration from Florida State University, 1981
- Administrator of Student Legal Services for Florida State University
- Served on staff in the Office of Governor for the State of Florida (Governor Bob Graham)
- Served on staff in the Florida House of Representatives on staff for the Community Affairs Committee
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Government & Foreign Affairs from Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, 1979
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court of Florida, Northern District
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court of Florida, Middle District
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court of Florida, Southern District
- Admitted to practice in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court
- Summer Associate, Holland & Knight, Miami, Florida
- Attorney, Holland & Knight, Miami, Bradenton, and Tampa offices
- Attorney, Morgan & Morgan, Tampa, Florida
- Founder, Law Office Gerald Spurgin, Esq., P.A.
- Served as President & Legal Counsel for Ultroid Technologies, Inc.
- Attorney, Law Firm of Moody Law, P.A.
- Member, Florida Justice Association
- Speaker at the “Bridge-the-Gap” Seminar sponsored by the Florida Bar
- Speaker at the “Mediation and Arbitration” Seminar sponsored by the Florida Bar