Lydia Sturgis Zbrzeznj, J.D., Of Counsel
Ms. Zbrzeznj is a native Floridian and was raised in St. Augustine, Florida along with her five siblings. Lydia grew up attending Good News Church, where her father Smiley Sturgis was the pastor. Lydia played four years of varsity soccer at Nease High School and won a State Championship her senior year. She then attended the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, on a full soccer scholarship and started all four years on the women’s soccer team.
Ms. Zbrzeznj went on to attend Florida Coastal School of Law in Jacksonville, Florida. During law school, she maintained a class rank of number 1 through all six semesters, was a Staff Editor on the Florida Coastal Law Review, obtained a Sports Law Certificate and Pro Bono Honors Award, served as a research assistant to two professors, and clerked for two civil litigation firms. Upon graduation, Ms. Zbrzeznj took the Florida Bar. Based on her high score, Ms. Zbrzeznj was selected by the Second District Court of Appeal to speak at the fall 2012 Induction Ceremony.
Ms. Zbrzeznj lives in Polk County with her husband and their children. She and her family attend Heartland Church in Winter Haven.
Ms. Zbrzeznj was admitted to the Florida Bar in September, 2012, and has spent her entire legal career practicing in Polk County. Since 2012 Ms. Zbrzeznj has dedicated her time to serving the people in her community, and has experience handling numerous types of personal injury matters including automobile accidents, premises liability claims, wrongful death, and medical negligence actions. Ms. Zbrzeznj focuses on providing efficient, effective and practical legal services to her clients, and takes pride in achieving positive results through this approach. She has been an avid reader and writer since childhood and enjoys the value thorough legal research and analysis, as well as strong writing skills bring to her clients' cases.
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 2006
- Florida Coastal School of Law, J.D., Summa Cum Laude
- All Florida courts
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers (Member, 2017 - Present)
- Polk Association for Women Lawyers (Member 2017 - Present; Vice-President 2017-2018; President-Elect 2018-2019; President 2019-2020)
- Tenth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission (Member 2018-Present; Vice-Chair 2018-2019; Chair 2019-2020)
- Tenth Circuit Young Lawyers Section (Member 2013-2020; former President and Treasurer)
- Willison Inn of Court, Lakeland (Member, 2013-2016)
- Lakeland Chapter of American Business Women's Association (beginning 2020)
- Appointed by Governor Rick Scott to the Tenth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission in 2018 for a term through 2020
- Appointed by Florida Bar President-Elect, Mr. John Stewart, to the Constitutional Judiciary Committee in 2019
- Selected to speak at the fall 2012 Second District Court of Appeal Induction Ceremony based on performance on the July 2012 bar exam
- Graduated law school with a class rank of #1
- Dean’s Scholar all 6 semesters of law school
- Sport’s Law Certificate Recipient
- Pro Bono Honors Award
- Staff Editor Florida Coastal Law Review, August 2010 – May 2012
- Book Awards in Constitutional Law I & II, Criminal Procedure, Lawyers Process 1 & 2 (legal research and writing), Comprehensive Law Practice III, Florida Constitutional Law, Media Law, Sports Law Seminar, Torts I