Understanding the Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), approximately 12,500 Americans suffer a spinal cord injury each year. Unfortunately, many of these catastrophic back injuries are the result of the reckless behavior of other parties. The experienced attorneys at Moody Law understand how negligence can play a part in different causes of spinal cord injuries, and we offer aggressive legal support for victims Central Florida and Polk County, including Lakeland, Bartow, Winter Haven, and Haines City. To schedule a free consultation regarding your spinal cord injury or that of a loved one, please contact Moody Law today.
The Most Common Causes
Studies have found that spinal cord injuries are most commonly caused by:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car, motorcycle, truck, and pedestrian accidents account for nearly 40 percent of spinal cord injuries. Furthermore, DUI drivers are frequently found to be the catalyst for serious accidents that result in a catastrophic back injury.
- Falls: Accounting for roughly one-third of spinal cord injuries, falls are the most common cause for victims over the age of 65. Slick walkways and other safety hazards can often lead to a slip or trip, and the impact of the fall can seriously injure the victim's neck or back. In these cases, property owners and managers can be held liable for maintaining an unsafe premises.
- Acts of Violence: Gunshot wounds, knife attacks, and other types of violent encounters cause 14 percent of spinal cord injuries.
- Sports and Recreation Injuries: About nine percent of spinal injuries occur during athletic activities, and most of these involve contact sports or recreational activities such as diving into shallow water or skiing.
- Disease: Diseases such as cancer, arthritis, and osteoporosis can sometimes affect the spine. However, when a misdiagnosis or surgical error causes spinal cord injury, health care professionals can be held liable for medical malpractice.
If the negligence of another party or parties was a contributing factor in the spinal cord injury of you or a loved one, we can provide expert representation and seek to hold the liable individuals and businesses responsible, no matter the cause.
In Florida, victims in spinal cord injury cases may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, loss of earning capacity, medical care, and more.
Compensation in These Types of Cases
Spinal cord injuries can often result in a lifetime of pain, immobility, and loss of function. Our attorneys understand that victims of these tragedies deserve justice, which may come in the form of a settlement or jury award from a personal injury lawsuit. In Florida, victims in spinal cord injury cases may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, loss of earning capacity, medical care, and more. Our legal team will seek to obtain the maximum compensation. If it can be shown that the liable party acted with gross negligence or reckless disregard for the safety of others, you may also be entitled to punitive damages.
Schedule a Free Legal Consultation
The compassionate personal injury attorneys at Moody Law are committed to protecting the rights of victims. We have an excellent reputation of achieving successful outcomes for our clients, and we will provide continuous support throughout the duration of your case. Please contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation.