The Dangers and Causes of Car Accidents on Turnpikes
Turnpikes were created to help motorists reach their destinations both safely and quickly. While the intent is for drivers to safely reach wherever they’re headed, accidents frequently happen on turnpikes. A car accident lawyer can help turnpike accident victims recover compensation for their injuries and other damages.
Attorney Daniel D. Moody provides representation to those who have been injured in car accidents on turnpikes in and around Lakeland, FL, and Winter Haven, FL, and can help you if you have been involved in an accident.
The Dangers of Turnpike Accidents
Turnpike accidents can be particularly dangerous and may result in serious injuries or even death. There are many reasons accidents on turnpikes can be so severe. Some of the most common factors that contribute to the danger of car accidents on turnpikes include:
- High speeds: Many turnpikes are expressways in which people travel at high speeds compared to surface streets. Car accidents at high speeds are often more dangerous and deadly than those at lower speeds.
- Confusing exits and on ramps: Turnpikes can have confusing exits, especially where toll booths are still used, and on ramps that don’t make it clear that tolls are required.
- Increased traffic: Many turnpikes are heavily traveled which means there is often a lot of traffic. Increased traffic can increase the chances of getting into an accident.
- Large presence of commercial trucks: Commercial trucks frequently travel on turnpikes which can result in more accidents with large trucks. Accidents with commercial trucks can be catastrophic.
Common Causes of Turnpike Accidents
There are many possible causes for car accidents to occur on turnpikes. Some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is when a driver doesn’t give their full attention to the road, whether it’s because they’re changing the radio, eating, texting, or talking to a passenger. Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of car accidents.
- Driving under the influence: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol increases the risk of accidents especially on high speed turnpikes.
- Excessive speeding: Excessive speeding is dangerous. When people drive too fast they are more likely to lose control of their vehicle or may not be able to stop in time to avoid a hazard.
- Driver fatigue: Driving while fatigued is just as dangerous as driving under the influence and can lead to serious accidents.
Seek Compensation for Damages
Car accidents on turnpikes can result in life changing injuries. For some, injuries can affect their ability to work and lead to weeks, months, or even years of rehabilitation. Because so much can be lost in an accident, it is often possible to recover financial compensation when significant damages are sustained in a turnpike accident. A car accident attorney can help those who have been injured in an accident obtain compensation for a wide range of damages including:
- Lost wages
- Future loss of earnings
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Schedule a Consultation
If you have been injured in a car accident on a turnpike and would like to learn more about your options for recovering compensation for your injuries and other damages, call (863) 733-9090 to schedule a consultation with Lakeland attorney Daniel D. Moody.