What to Do After a Crash with a Drunk Driver By Moody Law | Personal Injury Attorneys on February 01, 2023

Driving through a blurry tunnel at night

Getting hit by a drunk driver. You hope and pray it won’t happen to you. Yet if it does, knowing what to do after a car accident with a drunk or intoxicated driver could help protect you and your loved ones.

The attorneys at our Winter Haven, Lakeland, and Tampa, FL, offices would like to review some of the basic things you can do after a DUI crash. We’ll also go over three important steps to take after you’ve left the crash site.

What to Do in The Immediate Aftermath of the Crash

After a crash with an intoxicated driver, do the following to the best of your ability if you can do so safely:

  • Call 911 and Remain at the Scene - Getting the authorities to show up as soon as possible is essential after any serious collision.
  • Take Video or Photographic Evidence - Begin documenting the crash and your injuries. Take photos or video if possible to show the extent of the damage.
  • Get the Other Driver’s Information - If the other driver is conscious and cognizant, try to obtain their insurance and contact information.
  • Note If the Other Driver Seems Intoxicated - If the driver seems intoxicated, take a video if you are able. Taking notes or making a mental note of the drunk driver’s actions is also helpful.
  • Speak with Any Witnesses - Get testimony from any witnesses of the crash and its immediate aftermath. Take their contact information as well.
  • Wait for the Police to Arrive at the Crash Site - Do not leave the crash site. Wait for the police to arrive and clear the scene. Speak with an officer so a report can be filed, and get any immediate medical help if necessary.

Three Important Steps After You’ve Left the Crash Site

After the collision, there are three things you should consider doing.

1. Seek Medical Attention

You may seem fine after a crash. Even a few scrapes and bruises warrant a medical exam. Many serious injuries may not have immediate or apparent symptoms, so it’s worth getting properly assessed by your doctor.

2. Discuss What Happened with a Lawyer

Go to a personal injury attorney to discuss what happened and if there may be a case. A lawyer can give you advice on pursuing litigation.

3. Retain All Relevant Receipts and Bills

Hold on to any medical bills, repair invoices, or other receipts that are related to the crash. This can all be used as evidence as you negotiate a settlement or seek damages in court.

Can I Sue the Drunk Driver?

Yes, potentially.

Driving under the influence is a serious crime, and causing an accident while driving drunk carries stiff criminal penalties. In addition, injured parties could seek legal damages from the drunk driver to cover crash-related expenses.

If you lost a loved one in a crash with a drunk driver, you should speak with an attorney about filing a lawsuit for the fatal accident. This will allow you to seek damages for the loss of your loved one.

Even if your case does not go to trial, having a skilled lawyer on your side means you have more leverage while negotiating a settlement.

Speak With an Attorney About Your Case

Were you hit by a drunk driver in or around Winter Haven, Lakeland, or Tampa? Need to speak with a lawyer about what happened? Moody Law is here. To set up a consultation, contact our law firm today.

Related to This

Daniel D. Moody, J.D., B.C.S.

Moody Law, P.A.

Moody Law was founded by Daniel D. Moody for the sole and exclusive purpose of representing the injured. Our main office is centrally located next to the Polk County Courthouse in Bartow, FL, serving Lakeland, Winter Haven, and all the other communities of Polk County.  Some of Mr. Moody’s honors, memberships, and associations include:

  • The Florida Bar Board Certification – Civil Trial Specialist
  • AV PREEMINENT Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
  • Life-member Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Best Attorneys of America – Rue Rating Lifetime Charter Member
  • National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers

To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation, contact us online or call (863) 733-9090.

Contact Us Today

“Our experience with Moody Law has been awesome, from the first day of calling and talking with the front desk staff and meeting with everyone through the whole process, everyone has been helpful in helping us to resolve this matter.”

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite